Admin: using Labels in Cirrus to help organise your content or users
In several places Cirrus offers different types of 'Labels' to add metadata to your content and organise it. Examples:
- Using labels for item management in your Library
- Using labels when selecting questions for your Assessment
- Using labels for user management / scheduling
- Using labels on Learning Objectives
Using search boxes you can now search for labels using standard parameters like AND, OR and NOT. Examples:
- Search for an item that has both labels: Label:A AND Label:B
- Search for all items that do not have a certain label: NOT labels:B
Manually connected Labels are grey in Cirrus and Authors can add these labels from the Item overview screen when they open a collection:
- Labels used in collections can be added via Admin > Labels by people who are authorised to do this. (This is set under Admin > Roles > Site > Labels.
- These labels become available for all users in your environment and are grey - see screenshot above.
- Authors can add these labels from the Item overview screen when they open a collection:
- Check the box in from of the items and click on the 'Labels' button: a dropdown will appear.
- Labels need to be created before importing Items into your collection. See 'The Library: Importing Items into your Collections'.
You can also connect Labels on on Items to Learning Objectives in Cirrus. Once connected an Item with a certain Learning Objective will automatically receive the appropriate label. You can use this for filtering in your Library or when selecting questions for your Assessment.
- Go to: Admin > Labels > Edit > Add Learning Objectives
- Labels connected to Learning objectives are blue.
- Please note: if you remove the link between a "LabelA" and "Learning Objective X" all LabelsA will automatically be removed from all items with Learning Objective X.
- Labels manually assigned to question(s) can't be connected to Learning Objectives. You will get a message *This label was manually assigned to question(s). You can't connect it to learning objectives.
You can use labels on Items to filter out questions for your Assessment. See our article on Manually selecting questions to use in your Assessment.
Labels can also be added to individual users. These are different from Item labels:
- Go to Admin > Users and open the user profile. On the General tab of the user you can add a user-label by clicking on "Empty"
- Start typing the label-name. A list of suggestions will appear.
- Select an existing label or click on "New Label".
- User labels can also be set using an IMS LIS person record extension UserLabels.
- User- labels and scheduling - Simply type in (part of) the user-label you want to search on in the search-box when adding users to a Schedule. The label is shown on the overview of search results.
- User- labels and user management - simply type in (part of) the user-label you want to search on in the search-box under Admin > Users. The label is not shown on the overview of search results though.